2.10.2007

Comics in Stowe

I was in the Stowe Library on Thursday night, returning a couple of videos (ironically, one was American Splendor... a film about a comic book artist). There is a gallery space upstairs... which is usually closed in the evening, but they were hosting a talk by Harry Bliss, a cartoonist who has been published in the New Yorker (several covers, etc.) and other publications, in conjunction with the current "Fine Toons" show at the gallery. It was only serendipity that I found out about this event, even though I work in Stowe and live in Waterbury I am still out of the loop about events like this in the local community. I was on my way to the gym but I had been wanting to see this exhibit and the talk sounded interesting so I went to the presentation instead.

The show featured many cartoonists living in Vermont, some of whom I was familiar with, and some of whom I knew of, but didn't know had a Vermont connection. In particular I was very surprised that Frank Miller, of Sin City notoriety, lives in Montpelier... about as un-noirish an environment as I can imagine.

Ed Koren was also featured, he lives in Brookfield, where I used to work, and one of his drawings featured Floyd's Store in Randolph Center... which was funny as I lived right down the road at one time and have been in that store many times. Koren also did the artwork for these really old-school t-shirts for Onion River Sports... they are pretty cool in this era of glitzy overdone logo-laden gear.
The exhibit is free and runs through the end of March. It was reviewed in Seven Days here and Eva made a video at the opening which can be viewed here.

No comments: