4.22.2007

The glacier has melted, but there's still snow in the High Peaks

There has been snow in my dark and rather damp little patch of front yard since the Valentine's Day blizzard. As of today, however, it is finally GONE. Good riddance, winter came late but seemed to last a long time.


I climbed Algonquin in the Adirondacks yesterday with Ongyel. It started out as a hike, became a fun adventure, then evolved into a misadventure, which in turn became a serious situation in a very remote spot, but from which we finally extricated ourselves. It was a very long day for me as I left the house at 5:45 am and returned at 11:30 pm, tired, sore and chastened.

Colden, Marcy, Gothics, Giant, etc.

Me, eating lunch and looking out over the void.

An innocuous looking "Spruce Trap". These figured prominently in our difficulties.

I'll put together a post later that describes the situation in more detail. We were lucky to get off the mountain in one piece, and I have to say, that it was 100% my idea, to venture out there, which proved to be an extremely unwise thing to do.

No comments: