5.28.2007

Memorial Day 2007: Paths of glory


It's Memorial Day -- which was one of the first topics of this blog. Not much has changed in the ensuing year -- I usually start my day, listening to public radio and reading newspapers online, and every day it is the same damn thing -- bombings that kill 10, 20, 50, or 100 people in Iraq, and the deaths of more soldiers over there. To recycle a phrase from another conflict I don't think there is any light at the end of this tunnel.

I tell myself that if I was younger and certainly if I was facing the level of economic uncertainty that I was living with earlier this decade I would go to Iraq or Afghanistan as a soldier even though I don't think that the whole Iraq situation is going to end happily. My reasoning would be tied to the fact that I am single and childless and I am tired of reading about young soldiers being killed over there and leaving young widows and babies that they have never seen or spent time with... It's very tragic. My cynical logic being, that if anything terrible happened to me, it would affect a much smaller circle of people, than these young men (most KIA are under thirty) and their widows and fatherless children. But this is just a small self-indulgent bit of hypocrisy on my part...like many other things going on in America today.

My mom came over for Mother's Day a few weeks ago, she is not the most computer literate person, so she asked me to email a letter to the Free Press that she had written out longhand on this subject, and they printed it, the scan is above.

Where have all the graveyards gone?
Covered with flowers every one



No comments: