7.22.2007

Solitude in the wilderness

(The blurriness is from a large sweaty dirty thumbprint on the camera lens)

I climbed Camels Hump yesterday with the group that is going to Nepal in October, it was kind of a team building exercise since we will living in quite close quarters for three weeks; spending some time together beforehand may help to head off potential personality conflicts later. It's a pretty mellow group and trekking isn't competitive so I don't anticipate that aspect of the trip will be too stressful.

Our the group got a late start, by the time we started it was almost noon. The parking lot on the Huntington side of the mountain was complete craziness, the lot was completely full, there were people everywhere, singles, couples, & larger groups. The hike to the summit wasn't too bad but then at the top, there were lots of people there enjoying the cream puff day, especially after all the rain that has fallen as of late.

I know I'm spoiled and that I should be thankful all these people are outside enjoying the environment, but still there is something about being on top of a mountain in a crowd that makes me want to plunge into the nearest patch of dark, trackless woods alone. It's almost a claustrophobia response on my part. I was once on top of Mt. Lafayette in NH with hundreds of people (it was a gorgeous, end-of-summer, day, on a weekend) and I was very fidgety and uncomfortable pretty much the whole time.

I also know that my coming trip to Nepal is probably a personal environmental catastrophe of the first order (how many kilojoules of energy will it take to transport me halfway around the world?) but I assume that the plane would fly regardless of my travel status.

No comments: