8.09.2007

One year ago today

Exactly one year ago today, I arrived (like Odysseus cast upon the shore? -- I don't think so) in Waterbury. I showed up at my new place promptly at 8:30 am, there was no sign of the moving truck with my possessions. Several hours later than planned the truck turned up, I moved in, and have been here ever since. The changes are mostly positive, I think, but there are aspects of my past life that I miss, and it is certainly disconcerting to discover how hard it is to stay in touch with people even though the amount of physical distance involved isn't much at all.

There are places i'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain

I could research how many soldiers have been killed in various wars in the preceding 365 days, or how the previous year was one of the warmest on record, how much the national debt has increased in the past year, or some other obtuse topic, but this trivial and very self-absorbed (and largely unread) blog -- a horrible word -- tracks the mundane events of my life, so I'm content to mark this anniversary instead.

No comments: