9.25.2007

Departures and diversions

One subject that I don't write much about here is my job. There are many reasons for this, which I will not go in to, but suffice it to say, I work as a technical recruiter, based in Vermont, but recruiting nationally for a very well known consulting firm.

Many of the candidates I speak to are from the Indian subcontinent, some have become US citizens, some have Green Cards, some (most?) are on the H1B visa... and some of the latter, are literally right off the plane and looking for their first US project. It gives one a unique perspective on being an American and how to define 'citizen'.

So I leave for three weeks in Nepal tomorrow and it's great that things are finally coming together and I look forward to departure -- I will be happy, to stop planning, and start doing, the trek. But on the way back I am trying to divert to Hyderabad in India for a two day trip to visit one of my employer's business associates with an office there.

This is very exciting because I will be on my own in a really huge and quite foreign country -- while in Nepal I will be with a group. I speak to many people from India and I think it will be very interesting to get to spend even a brief amount of time there and see what it is like for myself and to travel on my own.

Last post for a while -- I still have lots to do before I leave!

No comments: