11.17.2007

Shave and a haircut (in Kathmandu)

A funny sequence of pictures sent to me by Emily Stebbins, who was part of our trekking group in Nepal. I planned on getting my hair cut short prior to leaving the US because I figured that showers might be kind of rare in the countryside. As it turned out showers were common at lodges where we stayed, it was hot water that was scarce. Ongyel, the trip organizer, encouraged me to wait until I arrived in Nepal to go to a barber... for the experience. These photos were taken on a very rainy Saturday in Kathmandu, we left on the trek early the next day.

A vigorous face massage precedes the shave. Ongyel, in the background, is engrossed watching a cricket match being shown on Indian television. This was taken late on a Saturday afternoon, I had last shaved on Wednesday morning before leaving the US.

The cricket match proved more interesting than my being shaved with a large straight razor -- there's a first time for everything, this was a first time experience for me.

After the face massage, shave, haircut, the whole procedure concludes with a brain-rattling scalp massage, it was like the barber drumming on my head. It's too bad there's not a video clip of this because it made an impressive amount of noise -- loud pops and cracks.

1 comment:

Able Answer said...

Sorry to barge in on you. I thought you might find the information in my blog helpful. Ask The Car Dr. is an interactive blog designed for those of us who are driving and maintaining older vehicles as well as those with an interest in Hybrids and newer fuel cell technology. My last Volvo 740GL had over 360,000 mile on it before the time came to replace it. Quite honestly the car still was reliable enough to keep driving but my 140lb dog had his way with tan the interior and we were ready for a change. Knowledge is power and the tips in my blog could save you money if paid attention to. This is a new blog moderated by a former professional mechanic who is now a musician. Thanks for reading.