12.19.2007

Shopped out

Monday, Route 100, Stowe: A Christmas tree stand with only a few bedraggled trees left after a weekend's snow.

I have made it this far without really participating in the December festival of retailing but now I am running around trying to take care of some last minute items. As I get older I find myself becoming more committed to the idea of living with less: Acquiring more stuff usually just depresses me. I find that living without television is very helpful and refreshing as it keeps the tide of advertising at bay. When I'm in a space with television now it seems discordant and strange, filled with ads for products that I am only dimly aware of, and dominated by personalities that I am totally unfamiliar with. It's almost like being in a foreign country.

No comments: