12.12.2007

Things that go drip in the night

Entropy: a: the degradation of the matter and energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity b: a process of degradation or running down or a trend to disorder

I live in an old condominium unit -- it was built during the Reagan administration, as I was finishing college, and trust me, that's a long time back. Condos are usually not built to the strictest construction standards and this complex is no exception -- though I've seen worse, and I knew this when I purchased a unit here. I also knew when I moved in that the utilities (heat and hot water) were original and approaching the end of their lifespan, although in the almost 18 months I've lived here, there haven't been any big failures.

Last night, however, this changed. To use a ridiculous cliché, it was a dark and stormy night with snow & mixed precipitation falling outside, and at about 4:30 am strange watery noises woke me. I got up, first thinking that the snow had turned to rain or something, but that didn't seem to be case. Stumbling downstairs, I discovered the cause -- water was pouring through the ceiling, down a light fixture, and onto the dining table: The hot water heater (unwisely located on the 2nd floor, and not in a pan) had failed, and the contents of the 40 gallon tank were percolating through the floor and ceiling below, a big unsightly soggy mess.

I'm not sure why this bit of personal news is showing up here, the failure of a water heater in a condo complex in Waterbury Vermont is certainly an event of absolutely no cosmic significance whatsoever, but this situation is going to cost me a shocking amount of money, and will put a further damper on the already small-scale holiday season I had planned. I was seriously considering biting the bullet and acquiring a better camera (Pentax k10d) but now I will have to think long and hard if I want to spend the money on a discretionary item like that now.

I was logging on to homedepot.com this morning at about 5 am and the site was down... so much for 24x7 online shopping.

No comments: