6.27.2008

Peppers and tomatoes

Most mornings before work, I channel Vito Corleone and Tony Soprano. I'm not engaging in criminality or violence, I enact a real life mashup of the death scene of Vito Coleone from the original Godfather (the Don dies while puttering in his tomato patch on a Sunday morning) combined with Tony Soprano's waddling down his driveway in his bathrobe to fetch his morning copy of the Newark Star-Ledger, though by the end of the series, Tony was so wary -- or paranoid -- that he stopped doing this.

My front yard: The worn sidewalk is not nearly as imposing as the driveway to Soprano hacienda in northern Jersey, but at least I am in much better shape. If it's not raining, I'm usually out inspecting the plants in a ratty bathrobe and flip flops, cup of coffee in hand, at the start of the day.

Last year I had a couple of small pepper plants, and to be honest, the peppers they produced were pretty tasteless. This year I have more peppers and also added tomatoes to the mix. I'm trying to keep things well fertilized so maybe this crop will be more than a colorful but bland salad accent this year.

The tomatoes out front look kind of scraggly but there are some plants on the back patio that are thriving, they are in a larger container which I think makes a difference. Live and learn...

Some basil and parsley as well.
It is kind of relaxing to putter around with the plants because to read the morning papers is to subject oneself to a barrage of endless bad news. It's scary and depressing, and I don't think that 'regime change' in Washington is going to make a significant difference in my life. Unfortunately these plants won't keep me fed during the looming hard times but at least they are a pleasant and relatively low cost distraction as various large scale problems continue to fester.

No comments: