8.13.2008

Eating very local

I have nurtured tomato plants all summer long -- it hasn't been a great growing season, local farmers are suffering from too much rain -- and now, finally, there are signs that the current very wet weather pattern may be breaking, so perhaps the tomatoes will finally ripen. This has been a summer with a distinct paucity of warm, dry days.

Of course, now that there might be something of a harvest, I won't be around to enjoy it. We are leaving shortly on a 10 day working vacation, helping my mother move to North Carolina. The plants will be turned over to the somewhat indifferent care of my neighbors in my absence.

Blackberries are a summer indulgence, and there's nothing new under the sun: One of my first blog posts after I moved to Waterbury dealt with this monumental subject.

No comments: