1.25.2009

The frogs

Investor Warren Buffet recently compared the situation in the United States at this point in time to an "economic Pearl Harbor". Looking back on the events of the past week in Vermont, the drumbeat of bad news continues, layoffs and closings everywhere, and on a more personal level, my job perceptively fades away a little more day by day, soon it will diminish to nothing unless there is some unexpected bit of good economic news.

I find that this situation produces a kind of paralysis, it's hard to think clearly, or to plan ahead with such a sense of looming catastrophe dominating everything. When I moved to Waterbury I speculated that buying a place instead of renting could be either liberating or an entrapment; the jury is still out, but I think that 'entrapment' looks to be the more likely outcome. I am caught a vortex and need a bailout of my own -- and I don't need anything like the $150+ billion amount sunk into AIG: Perhaps the government could put me up in unaccustomed splendor at Spruce Peak (owned by AIG) for a year.

Anyway, I spent some time playing with the camera and a manual focus lens yesterday, January has been dry and cold, there's snow but it would be nice to get a storm to freshen things up. It's nice to have a little splash of color in the middle of winter (frogs are a common motif in our house).

At least the days are lengthening; each added minute of daylight is appreciated after the short, dark days around the winter solstice.

No comments: