2.23.2009

Still plotting on the Woodward Mountain trail

Sunday I went for a long ski in Ricker Basin, it re-created a route I had previously skied almost exactly one year ago in March 2008. Despite taking advantage of a recently groomed but untraveled VAST trail to get into Ricker Basin, it was a long hard day on skis. Ascending up the bowl to the top of the ridgeline remains a quad-burning, shattering experience -- arriving at the top is met with much relief. To add insult to injury, I could hear other backcountry skiers whooping it (hooting and hollering amongst themselves) in the bowl closer to Bolton Valley trails. I didn't bother to bring a camera to save weight and because it was snowing hard pretty much all day. I am the only person I know who thinks skiing uphill (over 2000 feet of climbing in the course of the day) is perversely rewarding. Snow conditions will be great this week as today (Monday) was met with more heavy snow in central Vermont -- and the usual chaos on Interstate 89.

And the plot of the previous week's trek on snowshoes on the Skyline trail. I was unfamiliar with the terrain and there was a cloud cover in the morning which explains some of the rather erratic routefinding at the start of the hike.

No comments: