3.18.2009

Continental drift: I head south again

Interstate 95 in Virginia

It ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
It don't matter, anyhow
An' it ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
If you don't know by now
When your rooster crows at the break of dawn
Look out your window and I'll be gone
You're the reason I'm trav'lin' on
Don't think twice, it's all right

I'm leaving again, for a week, flights are cheap, work is slow, skies are gray in Vermont, why stick around? Since August 2008, I've driven to Wilmington, NC & flown home, repeated the trip again -- to and fro -- at the end of the year, and have also spent time in Florida. These trips have been pretty unstructured, mostly, I have had the chance to aimlessly drive around, pondering the future and considering my options.

The story of these travels reads like strange tales from a strange time: I feel like I have been watching things crumble before my eyes, it almost feels like the entire country is built on sand, shifting and impermanent -- this is especially true of the endless miles of retail strip development punctuated by gated housing communities with pretentious names around Wilmington, NC -- it feels like one good storm could come in off the Atlantic and blow it all away.

I'm not sure what the future holds, it's interesting to see other places, but I've lived in Vermont all my working life, but I'm not really from here -- in some ways, I don't consider myself 'from' anywhere -- and recent events have made me seriously consider leaving.

No comments: