7.03.2009

Three years, one month, three days: The blog abides, and I guess I take comfort in that*

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun. -- Ecclesiastes 1:9
'An Emblematic Print on the South Sea' by William Hogarth

I write of a time of soaring enthusiasms followed by crushing disappointments, frivolity, bubbles, crashes, and fears of national bankruptcy: not the squalor of the present age, but Great Britain in 1720. A tip of the proverbial hat to William Hogarth, inspiration for the title of this blog -- though, if I was starting a similar project now, I think I would be partial to "Diogenes' Lantern".

I let Memorial Day 2009 slide by without pausing to mark the anniversary of this site, which was inauspiciously launched at the end of May 2006. Much has changed since then, and one of the minor little themes running through the various postings here, is that keeping this blog going, is both pointless and burdensome, but for an unfathomable combination of reasons, I persist, despite of two factors:
  • This site is more likely to be detrimental, than helpful, to my off-again, on-again, job search. I fear that any prospective employer that stumbled onto it, would likely conclude that the author is a neurotic person with an unhealthy degree of self-absorption, or something similar.
  • Blogging is passé in the age of twitter, texting, Facebook, etc.; and traffic -- never substantial to begin with -- has declined with the rise of the new instant gratification social networking sites. In a partial attempt to combat this trend I have created a personal twitter account that I use mostly use to promote new blog postings -- with limited success.
Anyhow, assuming that I can figure out a way to stay solvent in the coming year, I imagine that I will keep this site alive in some form or fashion, using it as my own little online soapbox to publish photos, commentary on events of local import, stories of my misadventures on bikes and skis, encounters with wildlife, etc. I know what shows up here is by definition unimportant, but so long as Google (perhaps not feeling as omniscient and infinitely wealthy in these recessionary times) gives me some free server space to work with, I'll keep it going. In a chaotic time with a host of vast macroeconomic forces (most not of my own making) arrayed against me it is a slender thread to hang onto as I try to stay afloat.

*A Big Lebowksi reference: "The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."

No comments: