11.03.2009

It don't mean nothing

My college degree. Other than an investment in time and money, what exactly does it signify? The connections between 'talent', 'ability' and 'schooling' are tenuous at best. But it's also true, that Vassar Quarterly (now published 3x/year due to budget cutbacks!) is full of accounts of classmates who have achieved much more than I have in my small and misspent life.

I try not to write about work -- and usually manage to accomplish this small goal.

But a recent work experience was rather scarifying, and it's hard to put it out of my mind. As I have noted, I was subjected to intense criticism about my ability to write (and even to think). I think some of the criticism was justified, some was rather capricious and whimsical -- an example of hiding what I really think behind fancy words.

Anyhow, I read a post on Copyblogger -- a vastly more popular blog than this mostly unread document -- that summed up the problem quite nicely: 7 Bad Writing Habits You Learned in School. I felt like this post was a critique of me and me alone....
  • Sound Like Dead People -- Check
  • Writing Long Paragraphs -- Check
  • Staying Detached -- Check, check, check
The whole post is worth reading, and something for me to consider going forward.

No comments: