2.12.2010

Enjoy the silence

Everywhere I look, I see problems. Difficult problems. Discouraging, complex, hard to solve problems, and on every scale: Local, statewide, national, etc.

And yet, it seems that an awful lot of energy is devoted these days to developing tools that allow individuals to share little bits of themselves online with others. This week Google rolled out "Google Buzz", a tool to add twitter- and Facebook-like features to its gmail product.

I find, however, that I'm really not interested in more 'conversations'. I find that the connections with my various online contacts are mostly weak and tenuous at best unless they are grounded in real-world interaction of some sort. The constant status updates and bits of information are more distracting than illuminating and serve to cut one off from tactile experiences in the real world and interactions with real live people.

Foursquare: A twitter tool enabling narcissism and triviality.

Consequently I just turned the "Buzz" feature off in my Google account. Google is an advertising delivery mechanism and the company is already aggregating vast amounts of information about my online activities so it doesn't need to gather any more, enough already.

No comments: